Friday 10 July 2015

See you in showbusiness

Two things of note happened at work this week.

On Wednesday I marked 13 years working at Eldon > Echostar > SmarDTV. This is cause for reflection as a hell of a lot of things have happened in this time. Just mentally listing them is almost overwhelming. Suffice to say I'm very happy with where I am right now.

However, things change. Buddhism observes that change is the only constant in the universe. It is how we deal with that change that defines us. We can fight it or embrace it but acceptance of change itself is an important step, rather like an addict admitting they have a problem. Not that accepting change is easy, quite the opposite.

Lord Vetinari once said "If it continues long enough, even a reign of terror may become a fondly remembered period. People believe they want justice and wise government but, in fact, what they really want is an assurance that tomorrow will be very much like today."

Today (Friday) was the last day for several colleagues. There was a decent turnout at the pub next to work, monopolising the sunshine, the beer garden and the Boltmaker. Much shaking of hands, wishing well and that awkward silence where no one is entirely sure what to say.

I shall miss Keith's war stories from back in the day, even if I'd heard some of them once or twice before. I shall miss discussions with Peter in the tea room on everything from philosophy to fungii, from classical music to perfumery, from books to cycling. I shall miss last week's edition of Cycling Weekly from Pauline. I shall miss chatting to Mark about esoteric viewpoints, quantum physics, 3D modelling and caving. I shall miss David's upbeat attitude and technology updates. I shall miss Martin's laughter which is audible through a closed fire door.

We spend more time through the week with our colleagues than we do with our families, working together and trying not to rub each other up the wrong way. Losing that regular interaction, for those departing and those remaining, is a significant hole. My dad, when he retired after 47 years working in the same hospital lab, stated that "I won't miss the work but I will miss the people."

Most people I've talked to are very pretty phlegmatic about things. Some are taking the opportunity to retire. Others are going to take a few months off to enjoy the summer. Others already have interviews lined up. There is a mixture of acceptance, resignation, optimism,.

However our industry is a small one, so I shouldn't wonder if we will all bump into one other in the future.

As the veteran DJ Marc Riley would say, "I'll see you in showbusiness."






No comments:

Post a Comment